With a membership in SULF you will get access to all the knowledge and competence in the unique conditions that exist within the higher education system. You will also get a income insurance specially adapted to the needs of SULF members. It is one of the best income insurance schemes on the market. Welcome to SULF – it pays to become a member!
- One of the best income insurance schemes on the market is included in your membership. The insurance policy is specially adapted to the needs of SULF members. In order to be covered by this insurance, you must have been a member of SULF for at least 12 months and also a member of a Swedish a-kassa, for example Akademikernas a-kassa, for at least 12 months.
- In the other income insurance schemes, periods on scholarships or full-time doctoral studies with no employment position cause problems, but we have anticipated these situations and you are able to disregard certain periods which improves your chances of receiving benefits. We also maximize your potential to combine support from the Job Security Foundation with SULF income insurance. For example if you are entitled to 44 days of benefit from the Job Security Foundation, you can then carry on with all 150 days of SULF income insurance. Read more about the income insurance!
- Additional insurance. Members can now take out an individual addition insurance policy on top of the basic insurance cover that is included in membership. This additional insurance must be taken out by each member individually and provides payments for an additional 150 days. Monthly premiums vary according to income from SEK 33 to SEK 198. Contact Folksam for more information.
Folksam – Health insurance
From 1 January 2023, health insurance from Folksam will be included in your membership of SULF. The insurance, which covers all working members, is free of charge and you don’t have to do anything to add the cover.
The health insurance gives you greater financial security in the event of incapacity for work, as it provides compensation for lost income in the event of long-term sick leave. It supplements the compensation you are entitled to receive from the Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan).
Folksam – Legal insurance
Life gives rise to more legal issues than you might imagine. Living together, marriage, children, divorce and drawing up a will: what exactly do you need to do?
With legal insurance from Folksam, you have access to experienced lawyers from Familjens Jurist. You will be entitled to 15 hours of legal advice a year, as well as help with writing legal documents. Feel confident that you have done things correctly when it matters the most.
The policy covers four areas:
- legal advice concerning family law,
- legal protection,
- peace-of-mind advice
- and assistance in the event of identity theft.
As a member of SULF, you can sign up for legal insurance with Folksam for only SEK 45 per month. Read more and sign up for our legal insurance.
Folksam – Group and Life Insurance
As a member of SULF you can get access to collective insurance at preferential rates through Folksam for you and the family:
- Life insurance
- Health endowment insurance
- Health and medical insurance
- Accident insurance
- Health insurance
As a new SULF member who is in employment, you are automatically covered by a number of insurance policies. These are free of charge for the first three months. If you do not cancel these insurances within the first three months of your membership, you can keep them at a discounted price.
Folksam – Free insurance consultation
Folksam offers members of SULF a free one-hour consultation to help you go through your insurance coverage. This offer applies to all members, whether you have insurance from Folksam or not. Take advantage of this opportunity to review your insurance coverage to ensure that it is suitable for your current circumstances.
Home and car insurance from
As a member of SULF, you have access to special deals on insurance solutions. These include insurance for your home and holiday home, as well as for your car and boat.
A special insurance for guest researchers
Guest doctoral candidates and postdocs have access to the same terms and conditions in their home insurance. For members with smaller homes and few personal possessions in Sweden, there is a specially designed insurance with a lower insured amount of SEK 200,000 for the movable property, rather than the standard Trygg-Hansa terms of SEK 1.5 million.
Your benefits as a member of SULF:
- Always at least 10 per cent discount on your home insurance.
- A first-year discount of 10 per cent on your car insurance and 20 per cent on your home insurance. Additionally, you can receive extra discounts if you have more than one insurance through Trygg Hansa.
- In the event of involuntary unemployment, you will not need to pay for your home insurance and car insurance premium for up to 12 months following the 6-month qualifying period.
As a member of SULF, you can receive advice and support on matters concerning your work, for example if you have been wrongly dismissed, have had an accident or have not received your salary. In order to be able to get help, you must have been a member of SULF for at least three months before the problem you want help with occurred. There are, however, some exceptions to that rule if there are special circumstances, for instance if your case is regarded as an important matter of principle for the union and other members.
Contact your local representative
Locally elected representatives at your university are usually the best placed to help you with most questions. They have an unmatched knowledge of the local workplace and possible solutions. They also have extensive knowledge of relevant laws, regulations and agreements. Therefore, your first point of contact should the local representatives at your higher education institution.
Occasionally, a problem cannot be solved locally. In such cases, our team of experts at the central office can assist the local representatives. One example may be if you need qualified legal support.
In exceptional cases, a solution may be beyond the capabilities of even this level of support. Members may then be entitled to legal aid. It is the SULF Executive Committee that makes decisions on whether the union will represent a SULF member at the Labour Court, another court or in a court-like process.
SULF members have access to the SULF helpline. The SULF helpline puts you in direct contact with the Association’s officers if you have any questions or need advice. But before you contact us – have a look at the Facts – we have compiled some of our knowledge here.
Call us on 08-505 836 00. The helpline is staffed by union officers at 9.00-11.30 every weekday. Please note that the helpline is for SULF members only, so you will need to provide your personal identity number or your membership number.
The SULF online support service allows members to send questions to our union officers. Click here to submit a question. We aim to answer all questions within 24 hours, though this may vary during holidays and weekends.
In order to answer your question as fully as possible, we need the following information:
1. Your membership number or personal identity number
2. The subject of your enquiry
3. The email address to which you would like us to reply or your telephone number
Many SULF-members work abroad during periods, SULF provides special benefits for you who are going to work abroad during a few years.
Membership service abroad
Member service abroad. If you are a member of SULF and work temporarily (maximum 2 years) in Finland, Norway, Denmark, or the UK, Canada or Irland, you are entitled to member service from SULF’s sister association in each respective country. Read more here.
SULF is a so called Silver partner in SW. As a member of SULF you will receive a 20 percent discount on membership in Swedes Worldwide. The membership fee is only 400 SEK after the discount. SW gives you advice on issues of interest to Swedes living abroad. As a member you have access to advisors who have special knowledge about pension, tax and legal issues. You can subscribe to their newsletter and magazine.
Through the web site, magazine and Facebook you will get information and create contacts between Swedes around the world.
Read more about Swedes Worldwide
Universitetsläraren is SULF´s magazine for members. It is issued 8 times annually and a subscription is included in your membership fees. This magazine is the leading arena for higher educational political discussions in Sweden – also an important advertising channel within the higher education field.
SULF salary statistics
Every year SULF compiles salary statistics. Statistics concern relevant salary levels for doctoral candidates in employed positions, postdocs, research assistants, lecturers, senior lecturers and professors in public sector agreement areas.
Saco Lönesök gives you access to unique profession-specific salary statistics. Here there are average salaries and data on the distribution of salaries for different age groups, graduation year, qualification, employment sector etc.
To access SULF salary statistics and Saco lönesök (in Swedish) you have to log in with BankID and click on Salary statistics.
Members of SULF can get a 10 per cent discount on train journeys with SJ.
To take advantage of this discount, you need log in to My pages and click on the menu Exclusive to members. Scroll down to the booking portal (in Swedish).
The prices shown in red are those with the discount deducted.
The following conditions apply:
The offer applies to all SJ flexible/refundable and non-changeable/non-refundable train tickets. The offer is for private use only.
SULF discounts cannot be combined with other discounts and are not available for:
- family/child and group tickets or SJ’s lowest price tickets
- parts of journeys that are subject to a supplementary fee, e.g. the Arlanda line
- other train operators
- season tickets, annual travel cards or similar
- for travel by night train with accompanying animals
- travel on any part of the journey that is a Resplus route that is served by another operator (e.g. regional public transport)
- VAT and booking fees
- tickets that can be rebooked