Search for:
Parental leave

Working abroad and parental leave and allowance

Being posted abroad

In order to be covered by the Swedish social insurance system when working abroad, you must be employed by a Swedish employer. You must also, jointly with your employer, obtain a certificate from the Social Insurance Agency stating that you have been posted to another country. Read more about being posted here.

Who is considered to be posted within EU/EEA/Switzerland?

When working abroad within the EU/EEA/Switzerland normal posting means that:

  • You are employed by a public sector employer (government, municipality or county). Foundation universities (Jönköping University and Chalmers) are regarded as public sector employers in this case.
  • You perform work for your employer.
  • You receive salary from your employer during your stay abroad.

Who is considered to be posted outside EU/EEA/Switzerland?

When working abroad outside the EU/EEA, Swedish government employees who are posted belong to the Swedish social insurance system and remain registered in Sweden. As a government employee posted abroad you retain your benefits in Sweden and are regarded as a resident working in Sweden, no matter how long you work abroad and irrespective of the country in question.

If you are posted by a public sector employer in Sweden you must reach an agreement with your employer on remuneration for work abroad. This is carried out within the framework of the collective agreement “Agreement on overseas contracts and guidelines for employment abroad”  (URA).

Working abroad and not covered by Swedish social insurance

When working abroad for a Swedish employer who is not a public sector employer, your  ability to continue as a full member of the Swedish social insurance system is limited to a maximum of one year (two years in the EU/EEA). After that, you are not covered by Swedish social insurance.

In the EU/EEA, including Switzerland, you have instead the right to social security benefits in your new country of employment (if you are not insured in Sweden), and you may also add together periods of insurance in two or more EU/EEA countries to be entitled to a benefit. According to practice, those who worked in another EU/EEA country are normally entitled to social insurance benefits in Sweden on their return.

You can always count in your working time in the EU/EEA for length of service qualifications, if necessary (as is the case for example for parental leave). More information is available at Feel free to contact SULF for advice.

Marie-Curie scholarships

If you have been a Marie Curie scholar you may, in some cases, be regarded as an employee in the country in which it was located. In that case, you are covered by that country’s social insurance and not the Swedish system just as for other employees. There is uncertainty about what actually applies here. Please consult the foreign university concerned and the country’s equivalent of the Social Insurance Agency to sort out the situation. In Sweden, anyone who is a Marie Curie scholar is entitled to, for example, sickness benefit and parental benefits because the scholarship is subject to tax.

If you are a SULF member – log in and read more

If you are a member we have gathered everything you need to know in preparation for your parental leave in SULF Parents’ Guide. This manual includes information about parental leave and holidays, extension of postgraduate employment, scholarships, the consequences of part-time work, how to calculate your sick pay levels and more. Log on to My Pages and download the Guide.

If you have not had time to become a member, it’s easy to fill out an application here.