Search for:
Termination of employment
Termination of employment

Period of notice for redundancy

The duration of your notice period is dependent on several factors;

  • How long you have been employed by your employer.
  • The collective agreement you are covered by.
  • If you resign or if the employer wishes to terminate your employment.
  • Grounds for termination in cases where the employer wishes to terminate your employment.

The rules governing how much notice must be issued are found both in the relevant legislation (Employment Protection Act) and in collective agreements. The relevant collective agreement varies depending on the employer, but if you are employed in any of the state universities or a university foundation you are covered by Villkorsavtal-T and the Transition Agreement described below. If you are an employee of a private higher education institution we recommended you contact your local union representative for more information.

Who initiates the termination of employment?
The notice period is shorter if you wish to terminate your employment and longer when the employer initiates the termination. We have gathered information about what happens when you resign here.

On what grounds does your employer wish to terminate your employment?
There are two reasons the employer may use to terminate employment; reasons stemming from the employee personally or from lack of work. Upon termination for reasons of redundancy, the Transition Agreement entitles you to an extended period of notice. There is no equivalent as concerns termination due to personal reasons and if the situation is serious enough to lead to dismissal, there is no notice period at all. Read more about redundancy and personal reasons here.

How long have you been employed by your employer?
The length of your employment is crucial for calculating your notice period. The calculation will be based on the regulations specified in the Employment Protection Act (LAS), Villkorsavtal-T and the Transition Agreement and in all these cases how long you have been employed has an impact. For the calculation of the extended notice period under the Transition Agreement, not only employment by your current employer is counted but also all your time in state employment.

Calculation of the period of notice for redundancy
To get an idea of how much notice you are entitled to, add the period of notice stipulated in Villkorsavtal-T or LAS together with the extended notice period in the Transition Agreement. In order to give you an idea, we have compiled the following table, but always contact your local Saco-S union association for the correct calculation in your particular situation.

Period of employment Las eller Villkorsavtal-T Transition Agreement Total notice periodningstid
Less than 1 year employment * 1 month 0 month 1 month
At least 1 year employment * 3 months 1 month 4 months
At least 2 years employment * 3 months 2 months 5 months
At least 3 years employment * 3 months 3 months 6 months
At least 6 years employment ^ 4 months 4 months 8 months
At least 10 years employment ^ 6 months 6 months 12 months

* Length of employment with the employer includes only continuous employment in the public sector agreement area.

^ In calculating the length of employment, employment by the employer will include all employment periods in the public sector agreement area.

Are you covered by the Transition Agreement?
In order to be covered by the state Transition Agreement you must have been employed for at least one year with the same functional employers. Read more here.

Contact the SULF membership helpline or your local union representative.

If you are considering terminating your employment or risk becoming redundant contact the SULF membership helpline or your local union representative for more information and individual advice. The information on this page is general and there may be special circumstances in your situation that must be considered.