What is SULF?
The Swedish Association of University Teachers and Researchers, SULF, is a trade union and professional association for university teachers, researchers and doctoral candidates. Our 22 000 members are our primary focus.
SULF is not politically affiliated, but that does not mean that we are apolitical. We are an organisation that dares to stand up and fight on political issues that impact our members and their interests, safeguarding the professional interests and working conditions of people working in higher education. We negotiate, inform, debate and influence the development of higher education and research. As an employee, you have the right to be a member of a trade union organisation. Employers are obliged to negotiate with us on matters concerning SULF members.
Why should you be a member of a trade union?
Members of SULF have full access to our expertise on conditions and issues specific to the higher education sector. Here are six reasons to become a member.
- Union support when problems arise. If you are a member of the union and, for example, are fired without a valid reason, the union can help you to get your job back. If you are not a member of the union, you must take your employer to court at your own expense.
- Insurance. Our collective insurances, our pension agreements, our supplementary unemployment insurance and our members-only insurance policies give members greater security, both at home and at work.
- Better working conditions. Members are not alone and can receive help to improve poor conditions at work.
- Influence in the workplace. In many matters, the employer must negotiate with the union before a decision can be made. As a member of the union, you can influence these decisions.
- The whole family benefits. Many of our membership benefits, such as members’ insurances, also apply to members’ homes and families
- Rights and benefits for all. Pensions, child benefits and the right to vote are just some of the rights and benefits that did not exist before the labour movement demanded them.
Read an interview with SULF member’s Paulina Rajkowska and David Rule and their views on why you should join a union.