/ The Facts / Foreign citizens / Unemployment benefits as a foreign citizen

Unemployment benefits as a foreign citizen

One prerequisite for receiving unemployment benefits is that you are available to work. For example if you have a permanent residence permit and are free to work in Sweden and thus are also able to meet unemployment benefit requirements.

In addition to the requirement to be available to work there are other conditions. You have to join the unemployment insurance fund, AEA. You must be a member for a year to receive full benefits.

Read more about AEA and requirements concerning unemployment benefits here.

SULF – we know higher education! The Swedish Association of University Teachers and Researchers, SULF, is the association for university teachers, researchers and doctoral candidates. Join us today!