A technical mishap between SULF and Folksam has resulted in a number of members being wrongly informed that their membership in SULF has ended and thus the insurance has ended. It is only those who themselves ended their SULF membership where this applies. More information here.

Search for:
Foreign citizens
For information for foreign citizens - choose topic in the menu to the right.

Permanent residence - live in another country

As a trade union, SULF provides members with support and advice on matters relating to members’ pay and employment conditions.

For migration law matters, please contact the Swedish Migration Agency. It is the Swedish Migration Agency that makes all decisions about Swedish residence permits and citizenship, and they have the best knowledge and information about the current legal situation. As a state authority, the Migration Agency is obliged to answer all your questions and give you guidance regarding your case.

This information page contains tips and information for members about the regulations so that you can ask the right questions to the Swedish Migration Agency based on your own situation. To the Swedish Migration Agency’s website.

What if I have a permanent residence permit but wish to work/live in another country?

You may leave Sweden for up to two years without your permit being suspended. However, you must notify the Migration Board of your stay abroad in advance, no later than one week prior to departure. If this notification is not made, your permanent residence permit may be revoked if your stay abroad exceeds one year.

If the reason for travelling abroad is that you are a civil service employee in Sweden and posted to work on behalf of your employer, special rules apply.