It is currently not possible to log in at the website of Akademikernas a-kassa, read more at (in Swedish). This also affects the payments from SULF’s income insurance. The payment from the income insurance takes place one week after the payment from the unemployment fund has been made.

Postdok/working abroad

During your stay abroad you might be posted there by a Swedish organisation, get a scholarship or become a local employee at a foreign university or research institute. Your employment form exerts a major impact on your rights and your insurance cover but SULF have compiled some practical tips and advice that may be of general help.

The key to a fruitful, secure stay abroad is to plan well in advance with a realistic timetable. In addition to this the following may be worth thinking about:

Approximately 1 year before:

  • Think of where you want to go and for how long.
  • Get in touch with possible universities and institutions.
  • Visit interesting universities/institutions as a guest lecturer.
  • Consider what type of housing is best? Compare the cost of storage/renting/relocation.
  • Examine employment/grant conditions, wage levels and the impact of the planned stay abroad on your pension.
  • If you intend to travel abroad on a scholarship: find out application deadlines for funds and foundations.

At least 6 months before:

  • Establish and keep in touch with your future host institution/employer.
  • Establish first contact with a moving company and plan for the move.
  • Begin the visa application process.

At least 1 month before:

  • If possible: travel to the host country and seek accommodation before your final move.
  • If you are travelling with family and children – get in touch with schools.
  • Open a bank account in the host country (often a requirement to pay rent and so on).
  • Check the Tax Agency in the country as to whether you should pay tax. Request a written statement.
  • Get a Social Security number or equivalent.
  • Contact movers and give your final address.
  • Arrange insurance. Foreign home insurance can be linked to Swedish home insurance. The cost will be lower than in the host country where you have no credit history.

While abroad

  • What else should you consider?
  • Continue applying for scholarships from smaller scholarship funds in Sweden. These funds can finance travel to/from Sweden.
  • Try to create social contacts in the host country with both permanent residents and guest researchers.
  • Get to know the host country, travel around and get to know the customs and habits.
  • Stay in contact with friends in Sweden. You will return to them eventually.
  • Monitor your holiday days. Your form of employment will determine the number of days you are entitled to. If you are on a scholarship, you can argue that you should have holidays according to Swedish tradition.
  • Follow developments in the labour market at home.
  • Plan your return move to Sweden in time: apply for jobs and submit research applications when the opportunity arises, even though you are staying on in your host country for some time.
  • Remember that you may need to submit a tax return in Sweden for a number of years.

After your stay abroad

  • The road back and readjustment to Sweden
  • Be prepared for reverse culture shock, Sweden has changed since you left.
  • Stay in contact with colleagues and friends in your host country.
  • Do not forget to submit a tax return in your host country after your return.
Hello, how may we help you?
{{ currentTitle }}